Aims & Objectives of the SUDA
Setting up of a State Level Agency for formulating policies, preparation of perspective plan guidelines and direct overall research and training was recommended by the National Commission on Urbanization. The Eighth Plan Policy guideline envisages integrated approach for alleviation of urban poverty and servicing the urban poor with basic facilities so that the quality of life improves. Keeping in view the strategy of the 8th Plan and direction of Govt. of India, Govt. of Orissa, Housing & Urban Development Deptt. decided to constitute State Urban Development Agency at the State level. In the year 1990-91 SUDA was constituted and started functioning in more articulated manner from 1992-93. Since then SUDA is functioning with the following objectives:-
- To restructure and strengthen the benefit delivery system through effective design of schemes bringing about structural changes in the existing organizational set-up integrating the process of planning, implementation and evaluation.
- To monitor, supervise and evaluate the performance of the schemes implemented by the Urban Local Bodies apart from resolving constraints and conflicts experienced by the implementing agencies at various level.
- To emphasize planning from "the bottom up" instead of "from top down" and involve people in the process of planning, implementation and evaluation through formation of Neighborhood Committees and Community Development Societies (CDS).
- To train Municipal and other field level functionaries in the approach and methods of Community Management.
- To publish and disseminate the provisions and benefits of the welfare schemes.
- To assist urban Local Bodies in preparation of Action Plan, Detail Project Report (DPR), Quarterly Progress Report (QPR) & Utilisation Certificate for schemes like SJSRY, BRGF, ILCS & Affordable housing in Partnership.